Bakken's Poker and Random Blog

Daily posts about poker and other random stuff.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Two Harbors, Minnesota, United States

Thursday, January 05, 2006

WOOHOO!!!! I finally won my first poker tourney after finishing just short countless times and man does it feel good. It wasn't a ton of money, only $3163, but that's still about 2 months worth of cash games, it just feels really good to finally win, beating out 245 players, and totally taking command of the table when it became three-handed, I am very happy with the way I played, but I did get EXTREMELY lucky in two spots, and i'll talk about those in a bit.

First the hand that put me in the early chiplead, with blinds at 25-50, I pick up 57 of diamonds on the button and limp with 5 other players in front, the BB makes it 200 to go, EVERYBODY calls, so i do to. Flop comes 554 rainbow, UTG bets 200, MP calls, I raise to 1500, and get two calls!!! By AA and K4, wow did AA really screw up slowplaying this, thiis is why I say it is ALMOST always incorrect to slowplay AA pre-flop, its not invincible and hard to get away from. So I dodged the turn and river and was the early chip leader. I proceeded to build my chipstack, then had a few setbacks from either bad beats or bad plays.

Then this hand came up with about 25 players left, I have about 25K and the Villain has roughly 28K, I pickup JJ on the button, and Villain is in cutoff, he makes a standard $6K raise, looked like it might be a steal, but just in case, I wanted to see a safe flop, so I called. Flop was 1097 rainbow, he leads out 10K like I thought he would, and I moved in for 19K. I kinda thought I was behind, but he had such a range of hands he could be raising with, and I felt if i was gonna win this tourney I needed to double up, so that is why I moved in. BIG MISTAKE! he did have me throttled with KK, until of course the 8 falls on the turn, then I sweated the flush draw on the river and was up to 55K. I proceeded to steal the blinds here and there and before I knew it we were four handed, I ended up moving in preflop with 1010 and got called by AQ and won a race!!!

Now three handed we are all pretty even in chips, I have a pretty good read on both players and before i know it, I am up to 190,000 in chips not from good hands, but from simply outmuscling these two, I just took control of the table and wouldn't let off. I did have a costly hand where I ran into quads when i had a full house, the Villain played it very well, letting me catch up. i once again got on the gas pedal and built back up to 190K, when I knocked out the 2nd in chips when he moved in with AJ, with a j of clubs on a flop of 679 of clubs, I called with JJ and sweated it out.

Heads up the chip counts were ME 300K Villain 90K. He switched gears and was showing a willingness to lose all his chips, so when i got A4 of hearts on the button it felt like AA. I raised to 20K, he moved in, and I instacalled, he shows 89, and flops a nut straight, 567, ARG!, I was so close to winning, but then I see a heart on the turn and realize I still have a backdoor flush draw. I'm thinking to myself "One time baby, please," and then it hits, a gorgeous heart. I felt like Mike Matusow, VINDICATION BABY!, not exactly the way I wanted to win my first tourney, but hey, I had the best hand preflop, and its about time I get to runner runner somebody.

Its time for me to try and sleep, gotta get up and finish my last few days of work. I got some big plans brewing and will reveal them later, but I am going to Vegas on the 16th through the 20th, then to Michigan to visit the ladies and fellas, so that will be a blast! Thanks to Mike for railing tonight, he will be joining me in Vegas.

-Bakken

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home