Bakken's Poker and Random Blog

Daily posts about poker and other random stuff.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Two Harbors, Minnesota, United States

Monday, January 09, 2006

It's official...I am done with my job on January 11th. Not for just any reason, for quite possibly the greatest reason in the world, Mike and I are moving to Vegas. We're flying down this weekend to look at condos and hopefully sign a lease, back in Michigan for one last hoorah, then the long drive down to Vegas for good. I am extremely excited for the this, life is gonna be rough; golfing, bowling, cigars, beer, and poker...I don't know how I am going to handle the stress (sw).

Now for a little bit of poker, I played the $100+8 US Grand Prix last night and it might've been the luckiest tourney I have ever played. I got my chips allin THREE times in bad shape (3 to 2 dog, 3 to 1 dog, and 9 to 1 dog) and all three times I outdrew my opponent. I then proceeded to have one costly mistake and one costly bad beat. I was in the BB with Q9 and saw the flop with four other players, the flop was Q83, with two clubs. I had about 9000 chips at this point, and led 750 into 1000 pot, the Villain who was an overly aggressive player called, I figured he must've been on a flush draw. turn brought a blank, so I bet 1500, and the Villain called again. The river brought an offsuit K, I was almost certain I had the best hand and decided to check trying to get the Villain to bet or else a check wouldn't have been so bad either. well, he did bet about 5500, I almost instacalled, but I decided I better take some more time and think about this since it was a LARGE portion of my chips. I talked myself into believing he had a King high flush draw and hit a pair of Kings on the river and folded. Boy was I angry when he showed his 7 high busted flush. I am still quite proturbed about this fold I made, I knew I was ahead, and for some reason I talked myself out of it, so frustrating. Had I made this call I would've been top 10 in chips and rolled through quite easily like i normally do when I have a monster stack. A little later I called an all-in with AK and was up against AJ and the villain spiked a J on the turn, and that knocked me back down to 6500. I proceeded to get blinded down and called off all my chips (3750, blinds at 600-1200) with A5 and was up against A7. The board read 9QK10, so it was a split until the 7 hit the river, and sent me packing in 35th out of 389. Ah well, I should've been out early but had a bunch of lucky breaks and ended up cashing for a small amount, $300. That brings my tourney stats in the last few weeks to:
17 Tournaments
9 Cashes
3 Final Tables
1 Victory

I also played a little $4-$4 and $2-$2 NL last night and made $425 in 45 minutes before bed, essentially all in this crazy hand. It's my second hand at the table and I pick up KK, I make it $16 to go, MP makes it $40, and LP calls?, I make it $120, MP moves in, and LP calls again. I am pot committed at this point and call, flop comes all unders with two clubs, then the dreaded ace hits the turn and I am not a happy camper, river is a blank and I think for sure one of the players has an Ace, if not AA, nope MP had JJ and LP had 55, but wait there is four clubs on the board, ARG!, MP has a club, oh wait, I made the nuts, because I have a club as well, lol. Thsi table was crazy loose, i wished I didn't have to wrk in the morning so I could've sat here ALL night, oh well, $425 in 45 minutes isn't too shabby. Back to business.

-Bakken

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home