Bakken's Poker and Random Blog

Daily posts about poker and other random stuff.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Two Harbors, Minnesota, United States

Thursday, February 09, 2006

We drove down to my grandparents in Phoenix on Tuesday night, the drive was only about 5 hours, but the two lane highways in combination with the semi’s were brutal. Once we arrived we said our hellos and commenced the cigar smoking of grandpa’s cigars =)

Wednesday Mike and I went golfing, my Grandpa was going to come with, but had some other things to do at the house. We got too play with a couple who just moved here from Washington State and lived on Sahalee, they were very nice people and pretty good golfers, not to mention the lady was pretty good looking for 50 years old, heh. The golf game is still a little rusty for both Mike and I, but I still managed to shoot a 78, and was crowned champion for the day beating Mike’s 81. The weather down here has been gorgeous, upper 70s to low 80s and sunny. After golf, we proceeded to smoke more cigars and played some GOLO, for those of you who don’t know, GOLO is a golf-dice, which is extremely entertaining. We even found an old scorecard that had the record high score from my uncle Eric on it; he shot a smooth +18 for 72 holes. Then came what I was hoping, Steak dinner, oh baby was it good! My Grandpa, no matter what he says, grills some of the best steaks around, and I always look forward to having steak dinner with my grandparents.

Thursday Grandpa talked us into staying one more day so we could play Tuscany Falls and he could tag along smoke cigars and drink beer. What was even better was Grandpa was nice enough to pay for our round of golf on this day. I was striking the ball very good today, but left stroke after stroke out there from my short game, I can count 11 that definitely shouldn’t have been missed. Mike also decided to try my Nike Ignite Driver and was hitting some staggering drives, easily going over 320 hole after hole. Unfortunately, Mike prevailed on this day shooting a god awful 80 topping my horrendous 82. Grandma and Grandpa made us another good dinner, Pork, and we also had a Cuban with Grandpa that was very good. My grandma kept finding things to give us too; we’re taking a sofa, loveseat, entertainment center, sheets, glasses, bowls, and a TV. Needless to say that won’t all fit in my truck and we will have to make another trip in a few weeks which doesn’t bother me, because I love coming down to visit my grandparents, its always good to see them, and they always spoil me. Maybe next time I can Grandpa too actually golf nine holes, although it was fun having him as a caddy today. Mike and I will stop by the greatest cigar shop in Arizona before our ride back tomorrow, then should be pulling into Vegas at around 6.

Also, I put in five hours of poker down here and made about $250, Mike played a tourney finishing 4th pocketing $250 cash and a $100+8 ticket for any tourney. There was one hand that I played that I found interesting. Villain made it $5 to go from mid position, I called with 22, I figured him for AK, AQ, AJ, something like that, and a mid pair was likely as well. The flop came down 379 rainbow, and Villain led out for $7, normally I’d raise here and find out immediately if my hand was good or not, but I hadn’t seen this player lead out into a pot with a had once, he always check-raised his good hands, so I decided I was going too let him dig his own grave and just called. Turn was a 4, and Villain bet $15, and I called hoping he’d fire again on the river. River was a 9, and Villain led out for $45, a pretty large bet, now he has done what I wanted to happen, but I still retraced my steps just to make sure my read was correct, I went with my read and called, he showed down KQ and took down the pot. The lesson here is you don’t always have too have a monster to take down a big pot, if you can put your opponent on a hand and are confident in your read, you can string them along almost as if they’re your puppet for some good profits. Until next time….

-Bakken

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home